Re: Wicd sees router but won't connect

On 23 Jun 2011, William Hopkins wrote:
> On 06/22/11 at 10:35pm, Anthony Campbell wrote:
> > I'm trying to set up wireless on a Thinkpad T41. I'm using the ath5K
> > module and this brings up wlan0 as expected. I fiddled all day with
> > /etc/network/interfaces with no luck. I then tried wicd and this does
> > show my router, but it won't connect. Are there any tweaks that may make
> > it connect?
> >
> > The router does not have encryption but broadcast of its essid is
> > disabled. This does not prevent wicd from seeing it.
>
> I don't use wicd, so I can't speak to that. You can try to connect directly as
> follows for testing, though:
>
> iwconfig wlan0 scan //look for your network
> iwconfig wlan0 essid ${ESSID} key "s:your_passphrase" //associate to your network with WEP
> dhclient wlan0
>
> then see what you've got. Normal network troubleshooting applies.. listen for
> traffic, try pinging your router, check your routing table and netmask, etc.
> etc.
>

> --
> Liam

The strange thing is that wlan0 *does* appear to connect but it doesn't
actually work. Here is the result of iwconfig:

wlan0     IEEE 802.11abg  ESSID:"My Router"
          Mode:Managed  Frequency:2.437 GHz  Access Point: 00:19:5B:3B:E7:6C
          Bit Rate=1 Mb/s   Tx-Power=20 dBm
          Retry  long limit:7   RTS thr:off   Fragment thr:off
          Encryption key:off
          Power Management:off
          Link Quality=57/70  Signal level=-53 dBm

Anthony

--
Anthony Campbell - ac@acampbell.org.uk