Re: Wicd sees router but won't connect -solved

On 23 Jun 2011, Andrei POPESCU wrote:
> On Jo, 23 iun 11, 12:06:54, Anthony Campbell wrote:
> > >
> > Thanks, Philipp - you were right and gave me the clue. There are two
> > modules available, ath5k and ath9k. I was using ath5k because that is
> > what the docs talk about, but when I changed to ath9k the connection
> > came up correctly. Excellent!
>
> If the kernel picked up the wrong driver that is definitely a bug. If
> you forced that driver yourself, well, in the future it might help to
> actually mention that, together with the pci id of the hardware in
> question (lspci -nn) :)
>
> Regards,
> Andrei
> --

The kernel does load ath5k but I seem to need ath9k as well. An added
complication is that if I put ath9k in /etc/modules I can't access the
router, even though the module gets laoded. I have to do this manually
for it to work. Even so, the whole thing is rather temperamental and I
sometimes have repeat steps once or twice before it comes up.

Another point: I think I have to have wicd running even though I don't
actually use it to connect.

In summary: the steps I have to do are as follows:

1. sudo modprobe ath9k
2. sudo iwconfig wlan0 essid My_ESSID
3. check, e.g. with dig, to make sure I am connected.

Here is my hardware:

02:01.0 Ethernet controller [0200]: Intel Corporation 82540EP Gigabit
Ethernet Controller (Mobile) [8086:101e] (rev 03)

02:02.0 Ethernet controller [0200]: Atheros Communications Inc. AR5212
802.11abg NIC [168c:1014] (rev 01)

Anthony

--
Anthony Campbell - ac@acampbell.org.uk