Re: x-terminal-emulator does not appear to accept comand line args

On Thu, 9 Jun 2011 11:29:10 +0000 (UTC)
Camaleón <noelamac@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, 08 Jun 2011 18:40:03 -0700, briand wrote:

> >> Hum... here (lenny) neither works (gnomer-terminal launches but the
> >> parameter is ignored).
> >>

> > I verified again.  gnome-terminal definitely uses the option and
> > x-terminal-emulator definitely does not.
> >
> > This is all kind of silly.
>
> Hum... Jon is right. If we look at the perl script:
>
> sm01@stt008:~$ grep geometry /usr/bin/x-terminal-emulator
>     elsif ($opt eq '-geometry')
> 	push(@args, "--geometry=$arg");
>
> The accepted argument is "-geometry" that is then converted into gnome-
> terminal parlance ("--geometry=").

There's still a bug, as the man page brings up the man page/options for gnome-terminal which uses "--geometry=".

And here's the really interesting part, the x-terminal-emulator script:

  exec('gnome-terminal',@args);

So x-terminal-emulator is using -option, but telling you the whole time that it's going to execute gnome-terminal, for which the man page is different from what it's actually doing.

Brian