Re: laptop restart eth0 automatically on plugin or on awake like a desktop

On Fri 10 Jun 2011 at 18:51:06 +1000, Scott Ferguson wrote:

> e100: eth0 NIC Link is Down
> e100: eth0 NIC Link is Up 100 Mbps Full Duplex

Shows the cable was initially unplugged and then connected. The machine
was booted/woke up before the connection was made? You're using dhcp?

> And ifconfig shows the configuration of the device has changed between
> the two events.

In what way did the output of ifconfig change? Did connecting the cable
bring the interface up (no entry for eth0 before but an entry
afterwards)? How did the ifconfig output alter when the cable was taken
out and re-inserted a few times?

> How is that not configuring the device?

The interface eth0 (the device) gets an IP address (I'm assuming this
was the change you saw in ifconfig) but is not brought up by plugging a
cable in. Without that step it would not get an address.