Re: laptop restart eth0 automatically on plugin or on awake like a desktop

On Wed, 08 Jun 2011 16:09:41 +0100, Brian wrote:

> On Tue 07 Jun 2011 at 19:03:28 -0400, Mitchell Laks wrote:
>
>> http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/reference/ch05.en.html#list-of-
stanzas-in-eni

>> refers to man 5 interfaces which doesn't seem to explain what software
>> is doing the work after the plugin of the ethernet cord...  and only if
>> auto and not allow-hotplug eth0
>
> I strongly suspect neither the auto nor the allow-hotplug line have
> anything to do with your problem. In fact, I cannot see how they could
> have any bearing on it. auto eth0 simply allows eth0 to be brought up by
> ifup -a whereas allow-hotplug eth0 doesn't.

(...)

It seems it can fail, at least under some scenarios ;-)

ifupdown: /etc/init.d/networking should support allow-hotplug

If you add to this udev events and system restoration from a suspended
state, the mess can be royal.

There must be another similiar bugs out there because this is not the
first time I've read problems with the "*-hotplug" stanza.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón