Re: laptop restart eth0 automatically on plugin or on awake like a desktop

On Wed, 08 Jun 2011 18:27:44 +0100, Brian wrote:

> On Wed 08 Jun 2011 at 16:06:34 +0000, Camaleón wrote:
>
>> It seems it can fail, at least under some scenarios ;-)
>>
>> ifupdown: /etc/init.d/networking should support allow-hotplug
>
> This isn't a failure of allow-hotplug but a perceived defect in the
> /etc/init.d/networking script, which only takes account of auto.

Yep, and that's unfortunate if whatever routine (udev rule or event,
dhcpcd-client, suspension restore script...) tries to wake up the network
service.

>> If you add to this udev events and system restoration from a suspended
>> state, the mess can be royal.
>
> Not a problem the OP experienced. :)

I can't tell for sure, but many users are experincing the same problem,
and not only from Debian but also from Ubuntu and Mint, so...
casualty? :-)

>> There must be another similiar bugs out there because this is not the
>> first time I've read problems with the "*-hotplug" stanza.
>
> You have the advantage on me but I'm unpersuaded. The initial post was a
> classic dhcp couldn't get an address description. Now if he had said he
> was using static addressing (which just may be on the desktop machines
> he mentioned) I'd be stumped.

Hum... I don't rebember nothing about dhcp or static addressing but
something about plugging/unplugging the ethernet cable and after that no
interface coming up.

> Maybe Mitchell Laks could boot with allow-hotplug and with auto 20/30
> times and report his observations. And another 20/30 times without
> either. Recording relevant boot messages of course and seeing what dmesg
> has to say about the state of eth0.

Sure :-)

Greetings,

--