Re: Re (4): Capability of Iceweasel to open a local file.

On 2011-06-06, peasthope@shaw.ca <peasthope@shaw.ca> wrote:
> From:	Camaleon <noelamac@gmail.com>
> Date:	Mon, 06 Jun 2011 19:34:24 +0000 (UTC)
>> Can you give a concrete example of your goal?
>
> In your home directory, make a file named Category2.html containing any
> valid html text.  The example you gave in your earlier reply will be fine.
>
> Open "http://members.shaw.ca/peasthope/#Links"; and you will see three links
> containing "file:*Category2".  Probably the third non-blank line.
> Can you open the second link, file:///~/Category2.html ?  It won't open here.
> But it works if copied to the clipboard and pasted into the URI window.
> Copying and pasting should not be necessary.  It should open with a mouse
> click!
>
>> That is, what piece of code is working on that Native Oberon but fails
>> inside Iceweasel?
>
> The link file:Category2.html works for NO.  With NO not having a
> hierarchical file system it can not open file:///~/Category2.html but
> opens file:Category2.html, no problem.  Analogously, file:///~/Category2.html
> should work for Iceweasel.
>
> OK; I'm more convinced there's a fault in Iceweasel!
>
> Thanks,              ... Peter E.

The URL file:///~/Category2.html cannot be loaded by iceweasel in my
case (iceweasel 4 on squeeze). I only see the message "File not found
... Iceweasel can't find the file at /~/Category2.html." Interestingly,
lynx opens the file without grumbling, but then lynx will open just
about anything.

There is the separate issue of iceweasel opening file:// links from
http:// documents. That is disabled by default for security reasons, but
can be enabled by toggling the value of the "security.checkloaduri"
configuration preference. Go to the special URL "about:config" to change
it if you wish.

--
Liam O'Toole
Cork, Ireland