Re: Re (3): Capability of Iceweasel to open a local file.

On Mon, 06 Jun 2011 12:18:40 -0800, peasthope wrote:

> From:	Camaleon <noelamac@gmail.com>
> Date:	Mon, 06 Jun 2011 17:13:58 +0000 (UTC)
>> ... that should work from local ...
>
> It does; and my interest is to have a menu of frequently used files and
> links ... on a Web server.

Okay.

>> I'm afraid that for security reasons it is blocked from remote sites.
>
> I don't understand.  A URI is acceptable in the URI window after being
> typed or pasted there.  Why would it be unacceptable in the display
> buffer? Both locations are on the local machine.

If both locations are local, then it's okay, like CUPS does. But then you
don't need to use the "file://" protocol at all just point to the files
in the standard way (by using absolute or relative links to the files).
Just care on the file perms so the webserver can access to them.

> As I understand, access to a file is determined by checking the identity
> of a requester against permissions on the file.  The location from which
> the requester retrieved the name, shouldn't be relevant.

If both ends are local, yes.

> This mechanism works as I want in Native Oberon.

"Native Oberon"? I'm afraid I don't know that :-?

> Isn't the failure in Iceweasel just a failure in design or
> implementation?

Maybe I am missing something but I think I don't get the full picture of
what you want to achieve. Can you give a concrete example of your goal?
That is, what piece of code is working on that Native Oberon but fails
inside Iceweasel?

Greetings,

--
Camaleón