Re: Re (4): Capability of Iceweasel to open a local file.

On 07/06/11 19:09, Liam O'Toole wrote:
> On 2011-06-06, peasthope@shaw.ca <peasthope@shaw.ca> wrote:
>> From:	Camaleon <noelamac@gmail.com>
>> Date:	Mon, 06 Jun 2011 19:34:24 +0000 (UTC)
>>> Can you give a concrete example of your goal?
>>
>> In your home directory, make a file named Category2.html containing any
>> valid html text.  The example you gave in your earlier reply will be fine.
>>
>> Open "http://members.shaw.ca/peasthope/#Links"; and you will see three links
>> containing "file:*Category2".  Probably the third non-blank line.
>> Can you open the second link, file:///~/Category2.html ?  It won't open here.
>> But it works if copied to the clipboard and pasted into the URI window.
>> Copying and pasting should not be necessary.  It should open with a mouse
>> click!
>>
>>> That is, what piece of code is working on that Native Oberon but fails
>>> inside Iceweasel?
>>
>> The link file:Category2.html works for NO.  With NO not having a
>> hierarchical file system it can not open file:///~/Category2.html but
>> opens file:Category2.html, no problem.  Analogously, file:///~/Category2.html
>> should work for Iceweasel.
>>
>> OK; I'm more convinced there's a fault in Iceweasel!
>>
>> Thanks,              ... Peter E.
>>

> The URL file:///~/Category2.html cannot be loaded by iceweasel in my
> case (iceweasel 4 on squeeze). I only see the message "File not found
> ... Iceweasel can't find the file at /~/Category2.html." Interestingly,
> lynx opens the file without grumbling, but then lynx will open just
> about anything.
>
> There is the separate issue of iceweasel opening file:// links from
> http:// documents. That is disabled by default for security reasons, but
> can be enabled by toggling the value of the "security.checkloaduri"
> configuration preference. Go to the special URL "about:config" to change
> it if you wish.

I had the same experience as Liam.
Just to try and help separate problems of incorrect URIs from dead links....

These are the links that don't work (for one reason or another):-
http://www.sanjuanconservation.org/
http://www.islandstrust.bc.ca/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moresby_Island_(Gulf_Islands)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coast_Douglas-fir
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saltspring_Island
http://www.oberon.ethz.ch/software/
http://www.oberon.ethz.ch/native/archive/565.txt
http://www.paperfolding.com/textonly/
file://localhost/home/peter/Category2.xhtml
file:///~/Category2.html
file://Category2.html

Cheers

--