Re: Capability of Iceweasel to open a local file.

On Ter, 07 Jun 2011, Liam O'Toole wrote:
The URL file:///~/Category2.html cannot be loaded by iceweasel in my
case (iceweasel 4 on squeeze). I only see the message "File not found
... Iceweasel can't find the file at /~/Category2.html." Interestingly,
lynx opens the file without grumbling, but then lynx will open just
about anything.

Probably because ~ is not a magical token in the Linux kernel. Firefox is just trying to open a file "/~/Category2.html", a file in a directory literally called "~" under root.

Several programs (notably the shell) take "~" to mean the user's home directly, and convert that to the actual file path before opening it.

--
I am a bookaholic.  If you are a decent person, you will not sell me
another book.

Eduardo M KALINOWSKI
eduardo@kalinowski.com.br