Re: Samba or NFS

On Sun, Jun 5, 2011 at 9:30 PM, Nico Kadel-Garcia <nkadel@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, Jun 5, 2011 at 5:38 AM, Simon Brandmair <sbrandmair@gmx.net> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> On 3/6/2011 19:50 Axel Freyn wrote:
>> [...]
>>> For NFSv4 this has changed. You can use NFSv4 in different modes. The
>>> easy one has the same problem.
>
> NFSv4 is a giant pain in the keister, not worth the headaches. The
> NFSv4 access published from an actual Linux or other NFSv4 capable
> service can be published, it can be passed along via Samba to CIFS
> clients, but the CIFS clients cannot *see* or manipulate the NFSv4
> permissions due to incompatibilities between thee two ownership
> models, and due to the Samba code for this being "spaghetti code".
> (http://samba.2283325.n4.nabble.com/viewing-if-not-editing-NFSv4-ACL-s-from-Samba-shares-td2417666.html).
>
> Overall, NFSv4 has proven itself destabilizing and useless in small
> and large environments. It takes a significant investment in complex
> infrastructure, and the security benefits have proven to be illusory
> in the face of clients who *insist* on making their home directories
> publicly accessible, clients who use password free SSH keys, or
> clients who store passwords in source controlled software with no
> access control. (I've run into all of these in environments that spent
> useless years pursuing the "security" of NFSv4 and ignoring gaping
> holes in infrastructure security.)

Yes, I read the documentation for Kerberos and it seems to be too
complicated. I think that it is an overkill to connect to computers.
In my case the LAN is the whole University and it is very easy to
spoof an IP, I checked that. So NFSv3 might not be such a good idea.

How about NFSv3 over a ssh tunnel? That should be easy to implement. I
compared the transfer of a file of 700Mb between scp (encrypted) and
samba not encrypted, and the result is:
-scp: 38 seconds, and 25% of overhead in one of the 4 cores of the computer
-samba: 18 seconds and no overhead

So in my case I think it can be acceptable to do a ssh tunnel as most
of the times most of the cores of the computer are not used and there
is not a big traffic of data. Are there other disadvantages of using a
ssh tunnel?

Thanks,
Dan