Re: Samba or NFS

On 06/03/11 at 12:43pm, John A. Sullivan III wrote:
> [...]

SANs will almost always perform better than NAS', FWIW.

NFS has the better load handling and has good locking (provided you run it as recommended with portmap, statd, etc.)
Samba is primarily used to share files to windows hosts.

The security architecture of NFSv3 and earlier is based on simple UID reliance. You can stop root access altogether, and there's little concern of NFS leading to a system being corrupted, but it IS technically possible for a malicious user to delete other users files if you have write allowed. NFS is usually used in environments with trusted users (i.e. share only to specific machines, not the world).

--
Liam