Re: Samba or NFS

3.6.2011 18:08, Dan kirjoitti:
> Hi,
>
> I have two linux servers. One file server (debian) that is running
> samba and one application server (redhat). I would like to mount the
> shares of the file server in the application server. The problem is
> that the usernames are very different. Samba is already running and
> easier to set-up. NFS seems to be more difficult to set-up and also
> there are more security issues.
>
> Which are the advantages of NFS over Samba (cifs) other than the
> symbolic links. I read that even some people prefer samba over NFS to
> connect Unix to Unix.

NFS is by far simpler to use in pure Linux environment, Samba is for
Windows networks. NFS has no passwords, just install it with apt-get,
and declare /etc/exports in the server, and mount the shares in the
clients /etc/fstab. That's all it takes.

NFS offers native looking folders to *nix machines over networks.

--

Sheriff Chameleotoptor sighed with an air of weary sadness, and then
turned to Doppelgutt and said 'The Senator must really have been on a