Re: Chromium 11 on Debian 6.0.1 Stable

On 05/25/2011 06:28 AM, Perry Thompson wrote:
[snip]

I still think that this should be possible. I mean, Chrome 11 works from
chrome.google.com, why shouldn't Chromium work?

Deep, internal, slight library dependencies.

End-user packages are built against certain specific versions of libraries and there is no guarantee of backwards compatibility. So, the package manger prevents them from being installed.

                                                They're pretty much the
same thing, no?

"Pretty much" is a slippery, inexact word: genetically, slime mold is pretty much the same as h. sapiens.

                  Surely there must be some way of doing this.

Sure, build Chromium from the Sid deb-src.  It'll *probably* work.

If there isn't, could someone explain how Chrome is able to do it?

They build against older libraries.  Forwards compatibility usually works.

corrupt."