Wheezy: monitor signal lost when leaving X

Hi,

I upgraded Squeeze to Wheezy.
After logging out of X (no matter which desktop or window manager) the
screen goes black, the monitor signal gets lost, its green light turns
to yellow. The only way to get out of this situation is by pressing the
reset button.

So I tried a new installation of Wheezy, using the debootstrap method
as described in www.debian.org/releases/stable/i386/apds03.html.en .
But again, the same phenomenon.

Any idea what the problem could be?

Since mouse + keyboard did not work in X, I deleted /run, which fixed
that. Could this have something to do with it?