Re: Mp3 Encoding (and Virtual Machine Software for Wheezy?)

On 05/18/2011 03:41 PM, tv.debian@googlemail.com wrote:
18/05/2011 21:25, Tin Kidneys wrote:
On 05/18/2011 03:16 AM, Chen Wei wrote:
On Wed, May 18, 2011 at 12:35:01AM -0400, Tin Kidneys wrote:
I just purchased a Sony E-Series Walkman,&   don't have any album
artwork showing on mp3's i just encoded using my Debian Wheezy
system (my lame libraries are from debian-multimedia.org).

Some of the mp3's i added were actually showing artwork, so i ran
those files through my hex editor and discovered the problem was the
version of lame i was encoding with. The mp3's i encoded using my
Debian (Wheezy) system, the artwork was not showing. But the older
mp3's i was adding... their album's artwork WAS showing.
It might not be the version of lame, but the version of id3 tag cause
the problem. I'd like suggest you start troubleshooting by compare the
id3 tag version, or use a tag editor, easytag for example, to rewrite
the mp3 tag in the version that Sony mp3 supported.

Install a virtual machine, load the older libraries,&   do my
encoding there. However, my issue is i don't know of any virtual
machine software available for Debian Wheezy (amd64). Do you guys
know of any?
virtualbox
Thanks for the response. All tags on mp3's which are currently showing&
not showing artwork are in ID3v2.3, so the issue is not ID3 tags.

Also, VirtualBox is not available for Wheezy (amd64), and neither is
VMWare.

Hi, assuming you are talking about the Oracle Virtualbox, Squeeze
version works fine on wheezy/Sid (amd64), just add:

deb http://download.virtualbox.org/virtualbox/debian squeeze contrib

to your sources.list.

VirtualBox on Wheezy has been a really, really ugly experience. Here's a quick recap -

1. Follow the directions to add the Squeeze version from virtualbox.org (contrib, VirtualBox 4).

2. Attempt to install Guest Additions, & synaptic says it has to uninstall VirtualBox (huh?)

    - I was installing the Guest Additions 4 from the VirtualBox source.

3. Uninstalled VirtualBox 4 from the contrib source, moved on to the "non-free" version (source is still virtualbox.org), which is actually VirtualBox 3.

4. Attempt to install the Guest Additions, and again, Synaptic says it has to uninstall VirtualBox (Huh?!)

5. Virtual machines now won't start (issues with dkms).

My alternative (which i tried on another system) is to bite the bullet & install the prior version of lame & gstreamer plugins on my system.

But the issue with that is the program i use (Sound Converter in the official repositories) will not encode mp3 for some reason.

Even after i go through the steps of being sure all the gstreamer plugins are installed.

What a trip.