Re: SWF (Adobe Flash) support

On 05/18/2011 06:59 PM, Rob Owens wrote:
On Wed, May 18, 2011 at 07:53:56AM -0400, Gilbert Sullivan wrote:
Who knows? Since Adobe has stated that new versions of the Flash
server are going to automatically serve html5 when the client lacks
the Flash reader, perhaps users of free software will benefit. The
html5 content at YouTube works very well with chromium-browser.
Better than the Flash content, as a matter of fact.

I was unaware that there was html5 content on YouTube.  For those
equally ignorant:

http://googlesystem.blogspot.com/2010/08/watch-video-in-youtubes-html5-player.html
http://www.youtube.com/html5

-Rob

Hi, Rob!

Yeah. I forget just when it was that I stumbled upon that feature. On all of my systems -- at least -- the HTML5 videos (when they are available) play better than the concomitant Flash videos. Now I would expect that, considering that I'm using that much-maligned (a little unfairly, in my opinion) gnash plug-in.

However, I fancy that I see the same improvement in quality going from Flash to HTML5 on friends' Windows systems. And those are most definitely not running gnash as the Flash player!