Re: NVIDIA cards stopped working with recent testing updates

On Sun, 15 May 2011 10:07:25 +0100, Brad Rogers wrote:

> On Sun, 15 May 2011 08:37:43 +0000 (UTC) Camaleón <noelamac@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> Hello Camaleón,

(replying to your e-mail but also addressed to tv.debian's)

>> Just a quick note on nvidia (or ati) proprietary drivers: they need the
>> corresponding kernel version package.
>
> Whilst what you say is true, a lot of the agony of installing nVidia
> drivers can be done away with by installing the nvidia-kernel-dkms
> package and associated dependencies.
>
> Doing that takes care of all the kernel dependant rebuilds of the
> driver, meaning that the sys-admin (me) doesn't have to remember to do
> it.

:-)

Don't ask me why -maybe due to inexperience-, but the first time I had to
deal with the closed nvidia driver in Debian I prefered¹ to not use
"dkms" and manually pulled the required packages which was the method I
was more used to. Hopefully, all went ok.

And the same goes for my VirtuaBox client. Whenever I have to install or
update the "guest additions" I prefer to manually update the kernel
headers (which I hope they get automatically updated now that I've
installed the kernel meta-package).

¹I didn't know how this thingy worked, it is something I never used in
openSUSE, the distro I was using before coming to Debian.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón