NVIDIA cards stopped working with recent testing updates

Hi,

I have a system with a fixed hardware config over the last two
years that I have kept current with testing through that time.
Yesterday's update/dist-upgrade/reboot results in a blank
screen when launching X.  I swapped out the GTX285 for
a GT520 and got identical results.  I tried a different
PCI-E slot with the same results.  I switched to the
nouveau drivers and get nearly the same behavior, except
for a blinking cursor in the upper left corner of the
screen.  In each case, I can't switch to text consoles
via Ctl+Alt+F1...F6.  If I remove all the graphics drivers I get a
successful reboot to text console prompt.

I also downloaded an older known working nvidia distribution
from nvidia and built and installed that, with identical
results to the current dkms package.  All of these diagnostics
were performed with the current 2.6.38-2-amd64 kernel.  I
then repeated the nvidia driver installation with a stable
2.6.32-5-amd64 kernel and got the same results (GTSR).

I uninstalled all my kvm adn verde modules and GTSR.  I swapped
monitors and GTSR.  Took a shower and GTSR.

I'd be very happy to hear about any potential solutions to
this situation.

Thanks,
Russell