Re: Tracing Filesystem Accesses

In <[🔎] 4DCEC70C.9020803@hardwarefreak.com>, Stan Hoeppner wrote:
>On 5/14/2011 11:02 AM, Rainer Dorsch wrote:
>>   My Main reason for not doing it was that I do run the SSD partitionless
>>   to avoid partition alignment issues.
>
>There are no partition alignment issues with SSDs.  SSDs have no
>cylinders, no heads, no mechanical parts.  Native sector size is 512B,
>access time to every sector on the device is uniform--non issue.

SSDs do benefit slightly from having partitions aligned with pages or blocks.
Those pages are generally somewhere between 4KiB and 64KiB in size.  Blocks
are larger, some getting up to 8MiB. <http://www.anandtech.com/show/2738/5>
and <http://www.nuclex.org/blog/personal/80-aligning-an-ssd-on-linux> seem to
be decent references.

Traditionally, being unable to TRIM has caused reduced performance over time
on SSDs.  However, SSDs have such a performance increase over SMDs that I
doubt misalignment would be noticed very much.