Re: NVIDIA cards stopped working with recent testing updates

14/05/2011 23:23, Russell L. Carter wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have a system with a fixed hardware config over the last two
> years that I have kept current with testing through that time.
> Yesterday's update/dist-upgrade/reboot results in a blank
> screen when launching X.  I swapped out the GTX285 for
> a GT520 and got identical results.  I tried a different
> PCI-E slot with the same results.  I switched to the
> nouveau drivers and get nearly the same behavior, except
> for a blinking cursor in the upper left corner of the
> screen.  In each case, I can't switch to text consoles
> via Ctl+Alt+F1...F6.  If I remove all the graphics drivers I get a
> successful reboot to text console prompt.

[snip]
> I'd be very happy to hear about any potential solutions to
> this situation.
>
> Thanks,
> Russell

Hi, can you provide a log of what exactly have been upgraded during the
update ? (/var/log/apt/history.log or /var/log/aptitude)

What gives:

dpkg -l |grep nvidia

update-alternatives --display libglx.so

and same for libGL.so ?

What gives:

modinfo nvidia | grep vermagic

Is "nouveau" blacklisted when you try the nvidia driver ? if not you
could try that.

Did the xorg.conf file changed at all, the "Driver   "nvidia"" stanza is
still there ?

Just some hints to get you started, I am on wheezy/Sid amd64 with nvidia
driver (GTS250), no problem as of today.