Re: Problem with Konquerer on one site (Solution for firefox FIX!!)

On 05/14/2011 05:36 AM, Andrei Popescu wrote:
On Mi, 11 mai 11, 14:21:19, Wayne Topa wrote:
On 05/11/2011 03:55 AM, tv.debian@googlemail.com wrote:
11/05/2011 08:21, Andrei Popescu wrote:

Yes, I see connections to at least Google as well (with Iceweasel 4 from
experimental). You might get rid of at least some by deactivating the
automatic search for updates for extensions and search engines.

Those made a big difference!!

OK, maybe this is relevant:

https://support.mozilla.com/en-US/kb/Firefox%20makes%20unrequested%20connections

http://kb.mozillazine.org/Connections_established_on_startup_-_Firefox

Thank you Andrei!!!   These links are the answer to the Firefox hits
I was getting.  I changed only 3 items and am now able to use
firefox in
the same manner as rekonq or konqueror.  No more loss of bandwidth or
MB's of my download allocation.

I can't say thank you enough.

[:blush:] you're forgetting tv.debian@googlemail.com, I just made a
hint, the links are her/his contribution ;)

That was yet another mistake I made in this thread. Spelling the link incorrectly was bad enough but not thanking everyone that contributed to solving the problem is unforgivable. Then to make matters even worse my quick read of the message when, I replied, caused me to credit the wrong person. I humbly apologize, tv.debian, for that omission.

For the record, the 3 major changes I made to firefox were:
1. Go to Edit/Preferences/Security an uncheck "Block reported attack sites" and "Block reported web forgeries".
2. about:config changed "extensions.blocklist.enabled" to false.
3  disabled the Speeddial extension.

Prior to the above changes I was seeing total downloads of 10-15 meg
in a 5 minute period while firefox was NOT connected to the net but to my local dwww page.

After the above changes in 1 hour I see downloads of < 25K with the above setup.

I hope that this was as much help to others as it was to me.

My sincere thanks to all that chipped in with their suggestions.

Best Regards

Wayne

Regards,
Andrei