Re: Problem with Konquerer on one site (Solution for firefox FIX!!)

On 05/11/2011 03:55 AM, tv.debian@googlemail.com wrote:
11/05/2011 08:21, Andrei Popescu wrote:
On Ma, 10 mai 11, 19:19:33, Wayne Topa wrote:

Are you sure?  Bring up an xterm and run iftop -nNB -i<your wlan
interface>  and then bring up iceweasel but don't connect to the net.
If you don't see connections from Google/Mozilla and others I will
be very surprised.  I recall a long thread 3-4 years ago where it
was discussed how to stop all of those probes.  I was on dialup at
that time and my slow downloads would take hours to get here due to
all the probes from the net.  There was no solution then IIRC.
Maybe there is none.
Yes, I see connections to at least Google as well (with Iceweasel 4 from
experimental). You might get rid of at least some by deactivating the
automatic search for updates for extensions and search engines.

Those made a big difference!!

Regards,
Andrei

OK, maybe this is relevant:

https://support.mozilla.com/en-US/kb/Firefox%20makes%20unrequested%20connections

http://kb.mozillazine.org/Connections_established_on_startup_-_Firefox

Thank you Andrei!!! These links are the answer to the Firefox hits I was getting. I changed only 3 items and am now able to use firefox in
the same manner as rekonq or konqueror.  No more loss of bandwidth or
MB's of my download allocation.

I can't say thank you enough.

Best Regards
Wayne