Re: mounting multipath volumes with /etc/fstab

On Mon, Apr 4, 2011 at 11:38 PM, Gilles Mocellin
<gilles.mocellin@free.fr> wrote:

>> I tried this but ran into troubles at initrd level
>> When booting after installing multipath-tools-boot i get something like:
>> mount: Mounting /dev/sda1 on /root failed: Device or resource busy
> I think I had some problems too.
> I was forced to use a label on my /boot filesystem and use that in fstab
> /dev/disk/by-label/boot /boot     ext3    defaults     0       2
> You don't seem to use a separate filesystem for /boot.
> If your root filesystem is on a multipath device, don't use on path to
> boot, you should try root=/dev/mapper/something
> Anyway, device naming is not predictable, if you add your FC connection
> after installing your server, perhaps their device will be discovered
> before your internal disks and /dev/sda1 is not anymore your rootfs.
> Try using stable names, I use LVM, and for /boot where I can't (in
> Lenny) I use label.

I actually mount root fs by UUID (UUID=xxxxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxxx in fstab).
May be I lied a little bit with "Mounting /dev/sda1..." message as I
just typed it as I remembered it because there was no chance to copy
and paste it. :)

> Don't forget to update-initramfs -u after any modifications concerning
> the boot process.

I did it by "dpkg-reconfigure linux-image-xxx"

> Anotherthing I remember : adding rootdelay=10 change how some steps are
> done, and it has helped me.
> My case is a bit more special as I boot directly on a multpiathed device
> on SAN...

I only use multipath device for backup storage on this backup server
so there is actually no need to mount it at the boot level. I'm gonna
stay with rc.local mounting as it is just enough for me. May be I will
face this problem once again when I need multipath device during boot.
:)

Thank you for your suggestions!

Cheers,
Mike