Re: Graphics - Radeon HD 5000 lock-ups

On Sun, 03 Apr 2011 10:30:19 +0200, C. Hurschler wrote:

> On Friday 01 April 2011, Camaleón wrote:

>> It should work, "radeon" is one of the most advanced open drivers for
>> this task (3D accleration/openGL) :-)
>>
>> If you want to give a second chance to radeon driver (I'd do), just
>> upload your full "/var/log/Xorg.0.log" file to "www.pastebin.com" so
>> people here can review it.
>>

> radeon - Using the radeon driver (no xorg.conf, default installation):
>
> http://pastebin.com/B34BSsQJ

These lines are "suspicious":

(WW) RADEON(0): Direct rendering disabled
(EE) RADEON(0): Acceleration initialization failed
(EE) GLX error: Can not get required symbols.

And of course, the latest ones:

Blank CRTC 0 success
Disable CRTC memreq 0 success
Disable CRTC 0 success

> Symptoms: cannot change to console Ctrl-Alt-F1 etc. The screen is blank
> and the monitor is put in sleep mode (!).  KDE System-Settings:Desktop
> crashes every time without exception.

You can report this as I already suggested. Being the radeon driver you
will have no problem at all.

> fglrx - Using Squeeze packages and xorg.conf generated by aticonfig
>
> http://pastebin.com/Z6x9LthQ
>
> Symptoms: compositing works, 3D works (googl-earth).  Compositing gets
> turned off regularly, perhaps on logon by some process that I don't know
> and that no one tells me about (this reminds me of windows). Regular
> lock-ups with green radom fluttering pixelation on the whole screen.
> Otherwise normal behavior.

For this the only I can suggest is using the latest driver from AMD site
which requires recompiling. I can't tell for sure, but I guess Debian BTS
will not handle this driver as is closed source.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón