Re: Graphics - Radeon HD 5000 lock-ups

On Friday 01 April 2011, Camaleón wrote:
> On Fri, 01 Apr 2011 18:30:28 +0200, C. Hurschler wrote:
> > On Friday 01 April 2011, Camaleón wrote:
> >
> > BTW the card seems to be a "Cedar PRO [Radeon HD 5450]"
> >
> >> Have you tried another driver (for example, "radeon" or an updated
> >> version of Catalyst -now is 11.3-)?
> >
> > I've tried radeon, but strangely I can't ctrl-alt-F1 to console with
> > it....
>
> What happens when you press that combo? Nothing, black/blank screen? Can
> you jump to another tty (2,3,4,5...)?
>
> > I don't think compositing worked either, but I can't remember
> > for sure.
>
> It should work, "radeon" is one of the most advanced open drivers for
> this task (3D accleration/openGL) :-)
>
> If you want to give a second chance to radeon driver (I'd do), just
> upload your full "/var/log/Xorg.0.log" file to "www.pastebin.com" so
> people here can review it.

radeon - Using the radeon driver (no xorg.conf, default installation):

http://pastebin.com/B34BSsQJ

Symptoms: cannot change to console Ctrl-Alt-F1 etc. The screen is blank and
the monitor is put in sleep mode (!).  KDE System-Settings:Desktop crashes
every time without exception.

fglrx - Using Squeeze packages and xorg.conf generated by aticonfig

http://pastebin.com/Z6x9LthQ

Symptoms: compositing works, 3D works (googl-earth).  Compositing gets turned
off regularly, perhaps on logon by some process that I don't know and that no
one tells me about (this reminds me of windows). Regular lock-ups with green
radom fluttering pixelation on the whole screen.  Otherwise normal behavior.

have (ATI) is too old for fglrx in Squeeze, and also does not work properly
with radeon in Squeeze (Lenny fglrx worked well).  Thats what motivated me to
try the passive HD 5040 card.

Thanks for your help,