Re: Graphics - Radeon HD 5000 lock-ups

On Friday 01 April 2011, Camaleón wrote:
> On Fri, 01 Apr 2011 16:57:19 +0200, C. Hurschler wrote:
> > I've been using a Radeon HD 5000 Graphics card with fglrx (see below).
> > I have frequent lock-ups in Squeeze.

BTW the card seems to be a "Cedar PRO [Radeon HD 5450]"

> Have you tried another driver (for example, "radeon" or an updated
> version of Catalyst -now is 11.3-)?

I've tried radeon, but strangely I can't ctrl-alt-F1 to console with it....  I
don't think compositing worked either, but I can't remember for sure.

fglrx-driver is at 1:10-9-3 in Squeeze, 11.3 does not seem to be in squeeze-
backports.

> You can make further tests before dropping the card (review the logs for
> any specific error, disable desktop effects...).

3D and compositing work, but compositing is always turned off again on reboot.
Otherwise I haven't noticed anything except for the freezing.  The symptoms
are lots of green dots superimposed on the screen and I am no longer able to
return to console.  I have not tried ssh'ing in to restart X, so I don't know
if the system is really totally hung.

> > I'm looking for an inexpensive alternative, does anyone have any
> > experience with the GeForce 8400GS?
>
> Not with that model, but I've had only good experiences with nvidia's:
> 7600GS (ok), quadro fx 1500 (ok), quadro nvs 440 (ok).

ok, thanks.