Cannot update wheezy

For over a week now I've been unable to upgrade wheezy. I do aptitude update as root, which is fine, then also as root do aptitude safe-upgrade. When I do that, it says "resolving dependencies" and the open and closed statistics start going up. Right now open is at about 34000 and closed is at 29000. Defer is at 329 and conflict is at 62. It just sits there with open and closed ticking steadily up, and never seems to finish.

This doesn't feel right to me. I am not sure what else to post in the way of info as aptitude doesn't even get to the stage of producing interesting output before going into this endless-looking process if ostensibly resolving dependencies. Could my system's notion of package relationships have got messed up somehow, and if so how can I clean it up? Any help appreciated.

Machine is self-built intel core i7 920 with 8Gb of Ram and an nVidia GeForce 9800 GTX+ based graphics card. It's about 2 years old. I originally installed squeeze which had recently gone into Testing at the time, and upgraded using aptitude full-upgrade to wheezy shortly after squeeze became stable. Since upgrading, for a few weeks, everything was fine until about a week ago when I noticed I couldn't update as described above. I left it for a week thinking it was a package dependency prob that would fix itself eventually, but it doesn't seem to be doing so.

Any help appreciated.

Mark