Re: Cannot update wheezy

On Sun, 27 Mar 2011 11:43:11 -0400 (EDT), Mark Fletcher wrote:

> For over a week now I've been unable to upgrade wheezy. I do aptitude
> update as root, which is fine, then also as root do aptitude safe-
> upgrade. When I do that, it says "resolving dependencies" and the open
> and closed statistics start going up. Right now open is at about 34000
> and closed is at 29000. Defer is at 329 and conflict is at 62. It just
> sits there with open and closed ticking steadily up, and never seems
> to finish.
>
> This doesn't feel right to me. I am not sure what else to post in the
> way of info as aptitude doesn't even get to the stage of producing
> interesting output before going into this endless-looking process if
> ostensibly resolving dependencies. Could my system's notion of package
> relationships have got messed up somehow, and if so how can I clean it
> up? Any help appreciated.
>
> Machine is self-built intel core i7 920 with 8Gb of Ram and an nVidia
> GeForce 9800 GTX+ based graphics card. It's about 2 years old. I
> originally installed squeeze which had recently gone into Testing at
> the time, and upgraded using aptitude full-upgrade to wheezy shortly
> after squeeze became stable. Since upgrading, for a few weeks,
> everything was fine until about a week ago when I noticed I couldn't
> update as described above. I left it for a week thinking it was a
> package dependency prob that would fix itself eventually, but it
> doesn't seem to be doing so.
>
> Any help appreciated.

Mark,

I had the same problem about a week ago.  The solution is to do
a full-upgrade instead of a safe-upgrade.  The problem is caused by
libre-office packages taking the place of open-office packages.
full-upgrade allows packages to be deleted, safe-upgrade does not.
With full-upgrade the dependencies can be resolved by giving permission
to delete a couple of open office packages that are functionally
replaced by a couple of libre office packages, IIRC.

--
  .''`.     Stephen Powell
 : :'  :