Re: Wireless............

On Tue, 22 Mar 2011 10:06:31 +0100
Jörg-Volker Peetz <jvpeetz@web.de> wrote:

> The file /usr/share/doc/wpasupplicant/README.Debian.gz cited already
> by Wayne explains also the meaning of common wpa options. In a
> certain environment this configuration worked for wpa encryption:
>
> iface wlan0 inet dhcp
> 	wpa-ssid dlink
> 	wpa-psk plaintexpassword
> 	wpa-key-mgmt WPA-PSK
> 	wpa-proto WPA WPA2
> 	wpa-pairwise TKIP CCMP
> 	wpa-group TKIP CCMP
>
> Otherwise with the not recommended, insecure wep encryption:
>
> iface wlan0 inet dhcp
> 	wireless-essid    dlink
> 	wireless-key      thekey
> 	wireless-keymode  open

Thank you Jörg-Volker and Wayne for that information.

I can't get to the wireless access point for a few days, but will try
these and variations thereof Jörg-Volker.

I have already created an /etc/network/interfaces file with different
variations and will try each one with the others commented out. I went
through the /usr/share/doc/wpasupplicant/README.Debian.gz again Wayne
and also kept googling. I thought I had tried it all from 2006 to the
current year, but found more ways to try to make the connection.

I also tried the squeeze installer on the net install CD, which found
the wireless network first try when it didn't have a password, to find
the wireless network now that it had a password. No joy. It couldn't
find it.

Your help is much appreciated.
Charlie
--