Re: What happened to debian - does "stable" keep having any meaning?

On 03/21/2011 01:08 PM, Geronimo wrote:
Hello,

Ron Johnson wrote:
On 03/21/2011 11:53 AM, Geronimo wrote:

And yes of cause - I use LABEL and UUID in fstab for years ;)

So you're not using UUID in grub.

Ok - that's a challenge

Of cause, I use UUID in grub. But if you look at grub.cfg, theres one place,
where UUID is used and other places where (hd?, msdos?) is used. And all (hd?,
...) entries are wrong - almost always.

Of course, it could be that your mobo doesn't like grub2.  Since the
grub and Debian developers know that, they made a big, fat warning
when wanting to install grub2, asking if you're sure that you want
to do it, since grub2 is still in beta, so it might break.

Huh? - Did you ever installed a debian 6.x?

Squeeze, back when it was still Testing.

There's no choice to use another boot-manager. You have to use grub (which
silently is grub2) or you have to use grub2.

When I installed Squeeze, it absolutely asked if I wanted grub or grub2. (Maybe because I used Expert Mode?)

                                              If grub2 is really stil beta -
what the hell does it do in debian stable?

grub1 isn't maintained anymore.  Focus your vitriol at the FSF.

I tried to use "super grub2 disk" but that disk was not able to find any
bootable partition too. It hangs during scan.

Grub from debian 6.0 had no problem with my system. Same is true for Ubuntu
10.10

So where's my mistake?

I don't remember seeing a link (or, preferably, attachment) of your boot.cfg and output of "/sbin/blkid | sort".

--
I prefer banana-flavored energy bars made from tofu.