Re: What happened to debian - does "stable" keep having any meaning?

On 03/21/2011 11:53 AM, Geronimo wrote:
Hello,

Christ Almighty... where have you been?

busy inventing PEBCAK issues :)

The kernel went to indeterminate drive ordering *years* ago.  That's
why fstab now uses UUID or LABEL to associate partitions with mount
points.

Hey, may be u missed some of my writings.

I wrote, that I came to debian at woody time and from then on, I'm used to
*daily* (!) dist-upgrages

... so the last upgrade was from debian 6.0 to 6.1

And yes of cause - I use LABEL and UUID in fstab for years ;)

If you read my writing carefully, you'll notice that I wrote, that grub has
problems with changing drive order.

The point is, in grub.cfg each partition is mentioned by (hd?, msdos?) and hd?
never matches. Last weeks I managed grub update errors by manually editing
grub.cfg (I know it should not be done, but it was the only way for me to get
the system running).

So you're not using UUID in grub.  Which you should be doing.

Of course, it could be that your mobo doesn't like grub2. Since the grub and Debian developers know that, they made a big, fat warning when wanting to install grub2, asking if you're sure that you want to do it, since grub2 is still in beta, so it might break.

--
I prefer banana-flavored energy bars made from tofu.