Re: What happened to debian - does "stable" keep having any meaning?

On 2011-03-21 10:15:37 Reinhard Mantey wrote:
>I admit, my main problem is mostly ideologic, but isn't it a rule of debian
>stable, that no update will break a running system?
>The last update did break my system.

While that is a good target, it is not possible to achieve.

Before upgrading from oldstable to stable you must read the release notes and
modify your configuration appropriately.  Part of the release notes for
Squeeze was migrating from device names to labels or uuids.

While udev and other changes in the kernel have caused more systems to show
the non-deterministic nature of the kernel device names, and thus forced
Debian (among others) to use labels and uuids in the installer, it has been a
problem on certain configurations for about a decade, maybe longer.

Now, moving between 6.0.0 and 6.0.1 shouldn't have been a problem, but I
suspect you actually would have had issues rebooting your 6.0.0 system even
without the 6.0.1 updates, since you didn't have your fstab in order.