Re: What happened to debian - does "stable" keep having any meaning?

On 21/03/11 22:59, Geronimo wrote:
> Hello,
>
> the last update of debian broke my system completely! After dist-upgrade I got
> the advice, that I should reboot the system. Nothing special, so I rebooted
> the system.  That was the start of the misery. Grub was not able to find its
> boot partition and for such - it hung before showing up the menue.
>
> So I tried to boot from debian installer disk using rescue mode - all is fine,
> I could reinstall grub - installer says "no error" but on reboot the same
> problem.
>
> I don't have any exotic hardware, except the fact, that I use 8 harddisc at my
> desktop system and for so I have an external SATA-controller.

<snipped>

Perhaps proprietary firmware is the cause of your software problem -
strangely you failed to provide any information about the most likely cause.

As to your main problem, with due deference to the posting rules - I
refer you to the reply given in the case of Arkell v. Pressdram.

> kind regards
>
> Gero

Sincerely, Scott