Re: nouveau: GPU lockup - switching to software fbcon

On Sat, Feb 19, 2011 at 09:10:34PM +0100, Sven Joachim wrote:
> On 2011-02-19 20:34 +0100, Rob Owens wrote:
>
> > On my Squeeze system, the nouveau driver isn't working.  dmesg shows
> >
> > GPU lockup - switching to software fbcon
>
> That's bad indeed.

Embarassing goof:  Apparently xserver-xorg-video-nouveau wasn't
installed on this machine.  I thought the upgrade would have taken care
of that, and I thought it was there since 'lsmod' did show nouveau
modules.

Anyway, that explains the slight difference in symptoms between my
Squeeze installation and the various live cd's I tried.  With
xserver-xorg-video-nouveau properly installed, I do not get the "GPU
lockup" message.  I do see this in Xorg.0.log, however:

AIGLX error: dlopen of /usr/lib/dri/nouveau_dri.so failed
(/usr/lib/dri/nouveau_dri.so: cannot
open shared object file: No such file or directory)

I googled it and it's not clear whether or not this is related to the
vertical stripes I see on my screen (with a mouse pointer and nothing
else).

I plan to file a bug, but I want to do it intelligently.  What's a
better title than "Messed up graphics on a GeForce FX 5200"?

-Rob