Re: Command Line Partitioning

On Feb 19, 2011, at 4:07 PM, Ron Johnson wrote:

> On 02/19/2011 02:18 PM, Hal Vaughan wrote:

>>> fdisk does allow you to specify the start cylinder, then something like
>>> +1000M for the end of the partition.  "M" meaning megabytes.  It may
>>> also accept "G" for gigabytes these days, but I'm not sure -- you'd have
>>> to try it yourself.
>>
>> I know I can specify the offset, but there's still the issue of having to calculate numbers to get that 1st cylinder -- and I can't use it from a script.  It's interactive.
>>

> If you're always using partition #1, then shouldn't the calculations always be the same, and thus pre-computable?

The start, but there are cases where I might want the partition to be larger than in other cases, and I'd still have to figure out the start for the swap partition.

On that note -- I noticed that when Squeeze created the swap partition on my original CF card drive, it made it an extended partition and on the test copy, it automatically created a swap after boot that was also an extended partition.  Is that s.o.p.?

Hal