Re: nouveau: GPU lockup - switching to software fbcon

On 2011-02-19 20:34 +0100, Rob Owens wrote:

> On my Squeeze system, the nouveau driver isn't working.  dmesg shows
>
> GPU lockup - switching to software fbcon

That's bad indeed.

> lspci shows my video card as this:
>
> VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation NV34 [GeForce FX 5200] (rev a1)
>
> I do have an onboard video port that I'm not using.  Not sure if that's
> messing things up or not.

It shouldn't.  Does it even show up in lspci?

> Any advice?  I see several hits on Google,
> but I haven't found a solution yet.
>
> I'm trying to make nouveau work.

There's not much hope if you intend to stay with Squeeze.  If you're not
brave enough to blindly upgrade your kernel and the whole X stack to
sid, I would recommend trying a Live CD like Knoppix 6.4 or Grml 10.12
first.  Both come with kernel 2.6.36 and a newer nouveau snapshot from
August 2010.

> The proprietary nvidia driver will be my last resort.

IMO this is the least of the evils, at least if you insist on sticking
with Squeeze on that machine.

Sven