Re: nouveau: GPU lockup - switching to software fbcon

On 2011-02-19 21:25 +0100, Brian wrote:

> On Sat 19 Feb 2011 at 21:10:34 +0100, Sven Joachim wrote:
>
>> On 2011-02-19 20:34 +0100, Rob Owens wrote:
>>
>> > I'm trying to make nouveau work.
>>
>> There's not much hope if you intend to stay with Squeeze.  If you're not
>> brave enough to blindly upgrade your kernel and the whole X stack to
>> sid, I would recommend trying a Live CD like Knoppix 6.4 or Grml 10.12
>> first.  Both come with kernel 2.6.36 and a newer nouveau snapshot from
>> August 2010.
>
> I'm having trouble following what you are saying here.

I was suggesting that Rob try a newer kernel and X driver, since the current
ones did not quite work for him.  And using a Live CD has less impact
than upgrading large parts of the system to sid.

> lspci on my
> machine has the same the output as Rob Owens and nouveau and the FX 5200
> card are working well together. That's Squeeze and Sid.

Thanks for confirming that nouveau on FX 5200 is not broken for everyone
-- but on Rob's system it is, it seems.  Such are the problems with
hardware specific bugs, they are often unreproducible on other systems.

Sven