Re: weired problem around grub2

On Mon, Feb 7, 2011 at 1:53 AM, Geronimo <geronimo013@arcor.de> wrote:

> The point is, I have an external SATA-controller and disks change order too
> much times. That means, I don't have reliable device order.
>
> So I put a label on each vital partition and mount them by using the label in
> fstab. Works fine so far.
>
> What definitely does not work, is grub recognizing certain disk/partition.
> Although theres a device.map (with right identifiers for each drive), grub seem
> to not use it at all. Otherwise I don't understand current behaviour:
>
> Boot-drive is the first drive connected to internal controller (MB). The
> external controller has 3 drives connected, which means, boot-drive changes
> between sda and sdd.
> Boot-drive is configured to be the first drive (at BIOS bootdrive order).
>
> When I use the new install-CD of debian stable and boot into rescue-64bit, the
> root partition appears in the list as sda1 - so I select to start a
> commandline on that root partition.
>
> In that session, a df shows, that the root-partition is now sdd1 - so two
> different applications have different view to drives on the same run.
>
> That boot-drive has 2 partitions, both containing debian squeeze with fstype
> ext4. The first partition is a restored image, which originated from an ext3
> installation, the second partition is a fresh installation using ext4.
> Both installations are up-to-date.
>
> When I start with the rescue-mode from install-CD and open a session to
> partition2, I can install grub with "grub-install" and the system will be
> bootable.
>
> Doing the same with partition 1 - grub-install says "no errors" but on reboot
> grub hangs and is not able to start the menue - so the system is unbootable.
>
> I already tried to reinstall grub on partition 1 - but did not change
> anything. Is the boot-directory expected to be located on certain block, or
> what could be the reason of such a weired behavior?

grub2 uses "/dev/disk/by-id" to identify disks and partitions so the
fact that the sdX names differ shouldn't matter.

Does "/boot/grub/device.map" point to the correct disks on both installs?

Why don't you post the output of bootinfoscript (
http://sourceforge.net/projects/bootinfoscript/ ) on
debian.pastebin.com?