Re: lenny to squeeze upgrade health check....

On Monday 07 February 2011 04:44:54 am Michael Fothergill wrote:

> I think with the next upgrade I am about to do I will back up the work
> files run this script, install a new a kernel and play around with
> some of the other instructions and then finally do the aptitude
> dist-upgrade and see how it goes.  The other machine had no important
> work files on it.

I am thinking, from release notes and comments, 'apt-get upgrade' first , to
safely upgrade all packages that don't require new depends or deletions. Install
the new kernel, reboot,  then you can use aptitude or apt-get to finish.

It seems dl the non-free firmware package and having it available would be a good
practice to get into for upgrades, (esp laptops) at least being aware that
firware policy has changed for Squeeze.
--
Peace,

Greg