Re: lenny to squeeze upgrade health check....

> http://www.debian.org/releases/squeeze/releasenotes

OK, I went and read it.   I also installed gdm on the current machine
and it fixed the window manager problem.  Now I want upgrade another
machine from Lenny to Squeeze so I am going to try and do it more
carefully this time.

I notice that you can keep a log of the upgrade itself using

# script -t 2>~/upgrade-squeeze.time -a ~/upgrade-squeeze.script

A very dumb question I have about this is do you do aptitude
dist-upgrade before you run this command or afterward?  There doesn't
seem to be much point trying to collect something before you have
started to do it....  Would it crash because it couldn't find any
squeeze upgrade activity if you ran it before you started the upgrade?

I think with the next upgrade I am about to do I will back up the work
files run this script, install a new a kernel and play around with
some of the other instructions and then finally do the aptitude
dist-upgrade and see how it goes.  The other machine had no important
work files on it.

Regards

Michael Fothergill