Re: Unusable Squeeze: Can't switch off from X to consoles, neither between

2011/2/7 Henrique de Moraes Holschuh <hmh@debian.org>
On Sun, 06 Feb 2011, Pier Paolo wrote:
> >> Linux 2.6.32-5-amd64 x86_64
> >>
> >> Yea! Squeeze is stuck with 2.6.32..."patched" sup., as per standard
> >> distribution's kernel?

As in "what Debian is shipping", so yes, standard distro kernel.  You
can build a custom kernel using the distro kernel sources if you want,

> # CONFIG_DRM_RADEON_KMS is not set
> # CONFIG_DRM_I915_KMS is not set

THIS is not going to give you a well-behaved X.org when using the radeon
video driver IME.

Try the Debian standard kernel binary images.  That will tell you
whether KMS being disabled is the problem in your case.

I had a very similar problem with a radeon X1550 (I couldn't switch between users using X).

I solved removing fglrx-* related packages.