Re: Unusable Squeeze: Can't switch off from X to consoles, neither between

2011/2/7 Henrique de Moraes Holschuh <hmh@debian.org>
On Sun, 06 Feb 2011, Pier Paolo wrote:
> >> Linux 2.6.32-5-amd64 x86_64
> >>
> >> Yea! Squeeze is stuck with 2.6.32..."patched" sup., as per standard
> >> distribution's kernel?

As in "what Debian is shipping", so yes, standard distro kernel.  You
can build a custom kernel using the distro kernel sources if you want,
but...

> CONFIG_DRM_KMS_HELPER=m
> # CONFIG_DRM_RADEON_KMS is not set
> # CONFIG_DRM_I915_KMS is not set

THIS is not going to give you a well-behaved X.org when using the radeon
video driver IME.

Try the Debian standard kernel binary images.  That will tell you
whether KMS being disabled is the problem in your case.

Hi,

I had a very similar problem with a radeon X1550 (I couldn't switch between users using X).

I solved removing fglrx-* related packages.

regards
raffaele