Re: GMail backup on debian

On Mon, Jan 17, 2011 at 5:22 PM, Mathieu Malaterre
<mathieu.malaterre@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 17, 2011 at 4:20 PM, Sarunas Burdulis
> <sarunas@math.dartmouth.edu> wrote:
>>
>> On 01/17/2011 04:45 AM, Mathieu Malaterre wrote:
>>> Hi there,
>>>
>>>   Last week I decided to back up some of my mails from my gmail
>>> account. I remember that there used to be gmailfs mechanism for this.
>>> However the package is not available on my debian/squeeze anymore.
>>>   I also tried using the imap service, using evolution, but it became
>>> quickly a nightmare (it is just impossible to retrieve just a single
>>> mail). I even selected 'Basic Headers' from the IMAP headers
>>> preferences in evolution.
>>>
>>>   What are other people using when there gmail mailbox is becoming big ?
>>>
>>> Thanks !
>>
>> I use Thunderbird with several IMAP accounts, including Gmail. Moving
>> mail is usually a matter of drag'n'drop. I use Thunderbird's Local
>> Folders to copy mail into local MBX files for backups and personal archives.
>
> Just FYI, I finally decided to use thunderbird/icedove ... and it
> worked like a charm (well it is *much* faster) ! I do not know why
> evolution is so slow (this is the same DSL connection)...
>
> Thunderbird was a blast to configure (assuming you know your gmail
> adress...), and the only other configurations I used are described at:
>
> http://mail.google.com/support/bin/answer.py?answer=78892
>
> eg: browser.cache.memory.capacity & mail.server.default.fetch_by_chunks

Just for reference I gave up on icedove/thunderbird, it would simply
sit, do nothing and fill up 38% of my 4Gb memory for downloading a
folder of ~4000 messages.
I gave up on firefox/iceweasel a couple of weeks ago for chromium for
the exact same reason.

I am giving imapsync a try.

--
Mathieu