Re: GMail backup on debian

On Mon, Jan 17, 2011 at 4:20 PM, Sarunas Burdulis
<sarunas@math.dartmouth.edu> wrote:

> On 01/17/2011 04:45 AM, Mathieu Malaterre wrote:
>> Hi there,
>>
>>   Last week I decided to back up some of my mails from my gmail
>> account. I remember that there used to be gmailfs mechanism for this.
>> However the package is not available on my debian/squeeze anymore.
>>   I also tried using the imap service, using evolution, but it became
>> quickly a nightmare (it is just impossible to retrieve just a single
>> mail). I even selected 'Basic Headers' from the IMAP headers
>> preferences in evolution.
>>
>>   What are other people using when there gmail mailbox is becoming big ?
>>
>> Thanks !
>
> I use Thunderbird with several IMAP accounts, including Gmail. Moving
> mail is usually a matter of drag'n'drop. I use Thunderbird's Local
> Folders to copy mail into local MBX files for backups and personal archives.

Just FYI, I finally decided to use thunderbird/icedove ... and it
worked like a charm (well it is *much* faster) ! I do not know why
evolution is so slow (this is the same DSL connection)...

Thunderbird was a blast to configure (assuming you know your gmail
adress...), and the only other configurations I used are described at:

http://mail.google.com/support/bin/answer.py?answer=78892

eg: browser.cache.memory.capacity & mail.server.default.fetch_by_chunks

Thanks everyone !

--
Mathieu