GMail backup on debian

Hi there,

  Last week I decided to back up some of my mails from my gmail
account. I remember that there used to be gmailfs mechanism for this.
However the package is not available on my debian/squeeze anymore.
  I also tried using the imap service, using evolution, but it became
quickly a nightmare (it is just impossible to retrieve just a single
mail). I even selected 'Basic Headers' from the IMAP headers
preferences in evolution.

  What are other people using when there gmail mailbox is becoming big ?

Thanks !
--
Mathieu