Re: Lenny - xvinfo: No Adaptors present.. No XVideo

On Sat, Jan 15, 2011 at 07:26:08AM EST, Sven Joachim wrote:
> On 2011-01-15 12:58 +0100, Camaleón wrote:

[..]

> > It seems loading the GLX module using some part of the nvidia closed
> > drivers... how is that possible? :-?
>
> Because the nvidia-glx package is installed, even though Chris does
> not use it.  This is bad because no program that uses OpenGL will be
> able to run, but not directly related to the problem.

Good catch..

> > And there is something more in your log it caught my attention:
> >
> > ***
> > (II) Primary Device is: PCI 01:00:0
> > (--) Assigning device section with no busID to primary device
> > (--) Chipset Unknown NVIDIA chip found
>
> Yeah, the nv driver is too old and does not really know the card.
> Should not be much of a problem, though.

Just the XVideo stuff, where I'm concerned.

> > I still don't see why are you so reluctant to "test" the closed
> > source driver. Just to test, for seeing how it goes and if it solves
> > nothing then at least you can decide the next step with confidence
> > :-)

> I wonder why Chris bought a laptop with such a powerful card in the
> first place if he has no use for it.  Intel graphics would have been
> cheaper and also cause much less headaches.

Incompetence..? :-)

I needed a new laptop urgently because my 11-year old machine's display
was on its way out, and when I saw a high-end machine from a year ago at
25% of the original price at the lenovo outlet.. with specs that should
prove suitable for hopefully many years to come, I verified other folks
had gotten it to work with GNU/linux. Since the laptop was not built to
order, I was not in a position to make any changes to the configuration.
I wasn't going to look a gift horse in the mouth.

And who knows, contrary to the color calibrator, fingerprint reader, and
other options that I have little use for.. I might find some uses to
make up for the dollars this card is going to add to my electricity
bill.

cj