Re: Lenny - xvinfo: No Adaptors present.. No XVideo

On 2011-01-15 12:58 +0100, Camaleón wrote:

> On Fri, 14 Jan 2011 21:03:19 -0500, Chris Jones wrote:
>
>> On Fri, Jan 14, 2011 at 12:37:11PM EST, Camaleón wrote:
>>
>> [..]
>>
>>> Maybe it's time for you attach/upload the whole "/var/log/Xorg.0.log"
>>> file :-)
>>
>> Hey.. why not..
>>
>>   http://pastebin.com/38DZcW7D
>
> Thanks :-)
>
> Some comments on the log...
>
> ***
> (II) Loading /usr/lib/xorg/modules/extensions//libglx.so
> (II) Module glx: vendor="NVIDIA Corporation"
> compiled for 4.0.2, module version = 1.0.0
> Module class: X.Org Server Extension
> (II) NVIDIA GLX Module  173.14.09  Thu Jun  5 00:07:40 PDT 2008
> (II) Loading extension GLX
> **
>
> It seems loading the GLX module using some part of the nvidia closed
> drivers... how is that possible? :-?

Because the nvidia-glx package is installed, even though Chris does not
use it.  This is bad because no program that uses OpenGL will be able to
run, but not directly related to the problem.

> And there is something more in your log it caught my attention:
>
> ***
> (II) Primary Device is: PCI 01:00:0
> (--) Assigning device section with no busID to primary device
> (--) Chipset Unknown NVIDIA chip found

Yeah, the nv driver is too old and does not really know the card.
Should not be much of a problem, though.

> I still don't see why are you so reluctant to "test" the closed source
> driver. Just to test, for seeing how it goes and if it solves nothing
> then at least you can decide the next step with confidence :-)

I wonder why Chris bought a laptop with such a powerful card in the
first place if he has no use for it.  Intel graphics would have been
cheaper and also cause much less headaches.

Sven