Re: Lenny - xvinfo: No Adaptors present..

On Fri, Jan 14, 2011 at 09:11:33AM EST, Camaleón wrote:
> On Fri, 14 Jan 2011 03:24:32 -0500, Chris Jones wrote:

[..]

> > Is this telling me is that the XVideo extension on the new machine
> > is not enabled?

> You can check it:
>
> stt008:~# cat /var/log/Xorg.0.log | grep XVideo
> (II) Loading extension XVideo
> (II) Loading extension XVideo-MotionCompensation

I saw these as well.

Makes it all even curiouser since the only (EE) messages I saw were
relative to the touchpad - disabled in the BIOS so I need to comment it
out in xorg.conf - and slightly more to the point (but to be expected)
a message where Xorg complains about not being able to initialize the
GLX extension.

[..]

> Hum... I get output from two lenny systems running "nv" and "nvidia"
> so the problem must be in other place :-?

What does xvinfo tell you on the system where you're running nv..?

In other words, should I expect failure with the xvinfo output I am
getting, or should I just ignore it?

> > I am not really keen on installing the ‘nvidia’ driver on the debian
> > systems, but on the other hand, it would be nice to be able to take
> > a quick look at the news and such without having to reboot..
>
> The closed source driver for nvidia works quite well under my lenny
> systems, I have no complaints (easy to install and very stable).
> I only have it installed on systems where I need additional
> capabilities that "nv" driver cannot provide.

I innocently thought I wouldn't need any ‘additional capabilities’..
just watching the news once in a while.. no fancy 3D gaming or such
like..

And since the ‘nvidia’ driver that comes with lenny does not support my
card, I figured installing it was both unnecesssary and asking for
trouble.

cj