Re: Lenny - xvinfo: No Adaptors present..

On Fri, 14 Jan 2011 12:08:12 -0500, Chris Jones wrote:

> On Fri, Jan 14, 2011 at 09:11:33AM EST, Camaleón wrote:
>> On Fri, 14 Jan 2011 03:24:32 -0500, Chris Jones wrote:
>
> [..]
>
>> > Is this telling me is that the XVideo extension on the new machine is
>> > not enabled?
>
>> You can check it:
>>
>> stt008:~# cat /var/log/Xorg.0.log | grep XVideo (II) Loading extension
>> XVideo
>> (II) Loading extension XVideo-MotionCompensation
>
> I saw these as well.
>
> Makes it all even curiouser since the only (EE) messages I saw were
> relative to the touchpad - disabled in the BIOS so I need to comment it
> out in xorg.conf - and slightly more to the point (but to be expected) a
> message where Xorg complains about not being able to initialize the GLX
> extension.

Maybe it's time for you attach/upload the whole "/var/log/Xorg.0.log"
file :-)

>> Hum... I get output from two lenny systems running "nv" and "nvidia" so
>> the problem must be in other place :-?
>
> What does xvinfo tell you on the system where you're running nv..?
>
> In other words, should I expect failure with the xvinfo output I am
> getting, or should I just ignore it?

In that machine running "nv" driver I've got this card:

01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation G71 [Quadro FX
1500] (rev a1)
	Kernel modules: nvidiafb

And I get this (full output):

http://pastebin.com/QrQCQp17

stt005:~# xvinfo
X-Video Extension version 2.2
screen #0
  Adaptor #0: "NV17 Video Texture"
    number of ports: 32
    port base: 355
    operations supported: PutImage
    supported visuals:
      depth 24, visualID 0x21
      depth 24, visualID 0x24
(...)

No, it should not fail unless something wrong happens (like card/driver
combo you use does not provide such support as Sven pointed out).

>> The closed source driver for nvidia works quite well under my lenny
>> systems, I have no complaints (easy to install and very stable). I only
>> have it installed on systems where I need additional capabilities that
>> "nv" driver cannot provide.
>
> I innocently thought I wouldn't need any ‘additional capabilities’..
> just watching the news once in a while.. no fancy 3D gaming or such
> like..

Well, I have no problems for playing offline/online videos with the "nv"
driver so if you are experiencing any issue with it, you can try with
another driver or another media player >:-)

> And since the ‘nvidia’ driver that comes with lenny does not support my
> card, I figured installing it was both unnecesssary and asking for
> trouble.

What kind of card do you have? I really doubt is not supported by any of
the nvidia drivers available in lenny :-?

Greetings,

--
Camaleón