Re: networking

On Fri, Jan 14, 2011 at 16:31, Bob Proulx <bob@proulx.com> wrote:
> Paul Cartwright wrote:
> I think you did put that in there.  It has that look.  As to whether
> it /should/ be there... well *I* wouldn't put it there.  :-) I think
> that type of reloading belongs elsewhere such as in an if-up.d/*
> script.  But I don't know about your firewall setup.  I could guess
> something like this in /etc/network/if-up.d/local-firewall using your
> current config as a template.
>
> #!/bin/sh
> case $IFACE in
>    eth*)
>        iptables-restore < /etc/firewall-rules
>        ;;
> esac
> exit 0
>
> That will run your command whenever any eth* device is brought up.
>
> Personally I like the shorewall package quite a bit for setting up
> firewalls.

I use ferm - it has a nice config file syntax that closely mirrors
iptables command syntax, and it's been a set and forget thing since it
"starts" during boot as an rc script in /etc/init.d/ by loading the
firewall rules and you can use the stop start restart commands to
enable/disable the firewall.